SALT LAKE CITY, Utah /eNewsChannels/ — NEWS: Think Through Learning, authors of Think Through Math, a web-based math instructional system for grades 3 through Algebra 1, today announced the winner of its 1st Annual Utah Math Cup. Mr. Nash’s 6th-grade class from Endeavour Elementary School in the Davis School District has been named the 2014 Utah Math Cup Champion for solving 39,170 math problems and spending 523 hours on the program in just 33 days.
The class will be honored at a special awards presentation at the school on Friday, December 19, 2014.
Awards Event Details:
DATE: Friday, December 19, 2014, 9:40-10:15 a.m. (media set up at 9:15).
LOCATION: Endeavor Elementary School; 1870 South 25 West, Kaysville.
PHOTO OP: Teachers, administrators and students will gather for Math Cup Awards presentation. Event will include trophy presentation, as well as customized TTM CPS Math Cup t-shirts, medals, certificates and classroom gift cards.
The contest, which kicked off in November, engaged 73 schools throughout the state against each other for bragging rights of having successfully completed the most math lessons on the TTM system. More than 10,000 Utah students across the state had the opportunity to participate at school, during after school programs, and at home. During the five-week competition period, students completed more than 73,000 lessons and solved more than 1.8 million complex math problems.
The winning class will receive a trophy, champion banner, t-shirts, certificates and a gift card for a classroom celebration. Think Through Math has also recognized two runner-up classes and three additional special award winners with student certificates and classroom gift cards:
* First runner up: Mr. Stanger’s Honors class at West Point Jr. High Elementary
* Second runner up: Ms. Appleby’s 6th grade class at Mountain View Elementary
* The Holiday Hero’s Award, which is given for extraordinary work during the Thanksgiving break from November 27 through December 1, has been awarded to Ms. Robert’s 7th grade class of Copper Mountain Middle School in Jordan School District.
* The Gurus of Giving Award, which is given to classes that donated the most points to charitable organizations, has been awarded to Ms. Holmes’s class of Taylor Elementary for their class donation to The Wounded Warrior Project.
* The Evening/Weekend Warrior Award is given to class that worked the most outside of school hours. This was awarded to Mr. Stanger’s 8th grade class of West Point Jr. High in Davis School District, which logged more than 1,700 hours in after school and weekend time.
In addition to the top classroom prizes, TTM also awarded e-gift cards to individual students, who were randomly selected each week from a pool of eligible participants based on the passed lesson requirement.
Winners in the student category included representatives from the following schools/districts:
* Bluff Ridge Elementary School, Davis School District
* Taylor Elementary School, Davis School District
* Mount Logan Middle School, Logan City School District
* Nibley Park, Salt Lake City School District
* Manila Elementary School, Alpine School District
* Mountain Ridge Junior High School Alpine School District
* Downs Columbia Elementary School, Davis School District
* John Hancock Charter School
* Mountain View Elementary School, Davis School District
* Elk Meadows Elementary School, Jordan School District
* Sunrise Ridge Intermediate School, Washington School District.
More than 2.6 million students across 17,000 schools across the country currently use TTM as part of their math curriculum. Think Through Math (http://www.thinkthroughmath.com) provides rigorous adaptive lessons built upon each state’s learning standards, and is supported by the unique functionality of on-line math teachers to assist struggling students in real-time. Available to students from school and home, Think Through Math has an embedded incentive program that motivates students as they solve math problems as well as a charitable giving feature that allows students to convert their points into donations to select charities.
About Think Through Learning and Think Through Math:
Think Through Learning is a company of passionate and committed U.S. math teachers, software engineers and educational innovators whose mission is to help kids learn how to think mathematically. At Think Through Learning, we know that success in mathematics transforms how students perform in school and beyond. Our vision of effective education: a motivating blend of adaptive instruction on higher order thinking skills and on-demand online “instant 1:1 interventions” from LIVE, state-certified U.S. math teachers wherever a student is – school, home or elsewhere – at the precise moment that they need assistance.
In 2014, students on Think Through Math will do approximately one billion complex math problems and receive millions of live personalized “just-in-time teaching” sessions. The 2014 and 2012 recipient of the SIIA CODiE Award for Best Mathematics Instructional Solution, Think Through Math is recognized as the industry’s most respected and fastest-growing supplemental math curriculum. Since its launch in 2012, Think Through Math has become a critical part of the RTI, STEM, and 1:1 strategies of thousands of districts and schools across the country, including some of the largest districts in the United States.
This version of news story is Copr. © 2014 eNewsChannels™ (www.enewschannels.com) and the Neotrope® News Network – all commercial and reprint rights reserved. Unauthorized reproduction in whole or in part without express permission is prohibited.